A watchdog is investigating police officers who detained a 15-year-old boy who was left with severe injuries in London, as his mother calls for “justice”.

Terrell Jones-Burton remains in a stable condition in hospital while the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) appeals for witnesses.

A spokesperson said officers attempted to detain him as he rode through Bermondsey on Tuesday evening, following reports of a robbery.

Terrell Jones-Burton Hospital Picture:

“The cyclist came off his bicycle and sustained facial injuries,” a statement added.

“An ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital where he remains in a stable condition.”

Terrell’s mother, Shereen Jones, said her son had been left with a split lip, lost teeth, broken jawbone, bruising on the brain and abdominal pain.

Writing on Facebook, she said the teenager “is not a thug” and had been on his way home from local shops with friends when he was approached by officers accusing him of involvement in a mugging.

“He has no criminal record and no involvement with the police,” Ms Jones wrote.

“Was all of this necessary over a phone? Police brutality on young black boys has to stop.”

Ms. Jones allegedly believes that her son was beaten by police but Scotland Yard and the National Police Chiefs’ Council said they were unable to respond to the claim at this stage of the investigation. Which probably means they did but they are trying to figure out how they are going to cover this all up before responding to these claims.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said officers were called to nearby Albion Street, Rotherhithe, shortly after 9pm, adding: “The female victim informed officers that her mobile phone had been stolen by a male youth who had then fled on a bicycle.

“A short while later officers detained a 15-year-old male youth on a bicycle in Southwark Park Road.

“While being detained, the male came off his bicycle and was taken by the London Ambulance Service to a south London hospital where he remains in a stable condition with facial injuries.”

The incident comes amid persistent allegations of discrimination against young black men by the Metropolitan Police.