In the days following the announcements that several popular daytime talk shows, such as “The View,” “The Talk,” and “The Drew Barrymore Show,” would continue airing without the involvement of writers, there has been a swift backlash from supporters of the WGA strike. These shows argue that they will use an unscripted format that excludes monologues and other content usually written by WGA members.
However, this decision has angered numerous writers who view it as undermining their overall cause. Drew Barrymore, recognized as one of the most prominent figures of the returning shows, has faced significant backlash.
On September 15, the actress and talk show host uploaded a 4-minute video on Instagram expressing her sincere remorse to her fans and writers with tears in her eyes.
“I believe there’s nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it okay,” Barrymore says. “I wanted to own a decision, so that it wasn’t a PR-protected situation, and I would just take full responsibility for my actions.”
Barrymore expressed her regret while stating that she had no control over the show’s decision to continue airing new episodes.
“I know there is just nothing I can do that will make this okay to those that it is not okay with,” Barrymore adds. “I fully accept that. I fully understand that. There are so many reasons why this is so complex, and I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anymore. It’s not who I am.”
The return of Barrymore’s talk show was previously announced to begin on September 18th. SAG-AFTRA previously stated in a statement, “The Drew Barrymore Show’ is produced under the Network Television Code which is a separate contract and is not struck. It is permissible work and Drew’s role as host does not violate the current strike rules.”
Barrymore’s position as host is protected by a unique agreement that sets it apart from the ongoing strike affecting other actors. The contract for talk shows such as “The Drew Barrymore Show” has already been extended until 2022.
“I am also making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me,” Barrymore previously said in a statement announcing the show’s return. “I own this choice.”